Tuesday 19 May 2009

Romantic lace

I decided a few days ago to use some of my antique linen sheets, which are in less than top condition, to make little hearts with, for door hangers, drawer scenters and such. One idea was to make little lavender filled hearts and package them together with my lavender soap in a sweet little gift pack. I had already dug out the little ticking scraps I had collected, and this morning I thought I might have a look through my lace collection to find bits and pieces to further embellish the little hearts.

Good grief, I had forgotten how many lacy things I had accumulated over the years! These pics represent only a small part, I still have drawers full of lace and lace trimmed cloths. I spent a magical two hours going through some of it and discovered many forgotten treasures, like a stunning gold satin runner, embroidered all over with metal thread. I have no idea where or when I got it, or what it was used for. It does sort of have the look of an altar cloth though, so perhaps it did have a religious past.

Anyhoo, here are a few pics of the lace I pulled out to maybe use in my heart projects -


Now I'll just have to try and find the time to make all the things I would like to make, sigh.

2 comments:

Floss said...

Sigh, swoon, drool, envy, envy, envy...

You have some lovely pieces there! Don't cut up the Honiton, will you?

But other than that, I can't wait to see what you make. I'm just finishing a swap, and I'm looking forward to making something for myself again...

There is an award waiting for you at my blog!

Lululiz said...

Awww, Floss, thank you so much for the award, the first one, woohoo! I shall hop over to your fabulous blog asap.

I know I have a few pieces of very lovely old handmade lace in that lot, and I could never use up all the lace in the pics anyway, so don't worry, the handmade lace is safe!