Wednesday 9 May 2012

White Wednesday Lace from the Vide Grenier

It wasn't raining on Saturday morning so we went to a vide grenier about an hour's drive away from us. The weather forecast for Sunday was so grotty, I was pretty sure there wouldn't be any on Sunday, and I couldn't stand the thought of yet another weekend without a visit to a vide grenier, so off we went.


Every now and then I manage to find some beautiful old lace at a vide grenier, although that is becoming increasingly rare. But this time I was lucky and came across a stall with gorgeous stuff. Oh, I could have spent hours there, and a lot of money as well, lol, but my poor long suffering husband was with me and although patience personified, he did begin to look a wee bit bored after a while.

I managed to find some other gorgeous little bits and pieces at that vide grenier as well, but thats for another day, here are the pics of the lacy bits I found -


I really adore these crocheted whatever they are, they add such fabulous texture to fabric projects -


This is the most gorgeous wide silk ribbon, incredibly fine -


lots of wonderful fine lace, some handmade, some machine made, all very old and very handsome -


Amongst the little doilies that were amongst the lace I bought, there were two which really fascinated me. They were made from the most delicate little scraps of lace, which somebody had lovingly salvaged from something and so very carefully stitched together, many many years ago.



And last but most definitely not least, I found this beautiful Holy Communion bow, which a young lad would have worn on his sleeve -

It will give me a lot of pleasure, sorting out the lace, ironing the crumpled bits and just admiring it.

I am linking this post to the 151st WHITE WEDNESDAY over at the Faded Charm blog, where you can find lots more wonderful white posts.

Toodlepip xxx

13 comments:

Nichola said...

Beautiful, beautiful things!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

WOW!! Swooning here!!
Jan x

Rebecca Nelson said...

Oh girl...more beautiful trims. I love just starting at your photos...yum. Love the crochet with those little bitty tassel things! SWEET!

xoRebecca

My Creative House said...

Liz these are really some treasures and everything are so beautiful.
Hugs Anni

Dorthe said...

Dearest Liz, such fantastic laces- the crocheted balls are truly special, and wonderful.
And I love the piece sewn together of all the small scraps-so lovely.
You were really lucky and you deserves it after all those week ends with bad weather -I hope you can go this coming week-end too.
Smiles and hugs,
from Dorthe xx

Yitte said...

Beautiful, beautiful lace. I love that piece sew together from all the little bits. How much time is spend to put it together. Must be done with so much love for the old lace.

Hugs Yvonne

Anonymous said...

Oh to run my hnds through such gorgeousness!!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

You are one lucky gal with your lacy finds,dear Liz.Gorgeous.
Have a dreat day.
Hugs,
Marie

suziqu's thread works said...

Hello dear Lizzy in La La French land!
I am totally besotted with your latest collection of laces. What a lucky girl you are. So many interesting pieces including those crocheted ball drop thingys and I so love that very old patchworked lace - how truly gorgeous!
I am so happy that these have brought you so much joy after battling with that weather to dig a vegi garden.
There are always so many little joys in this world.
I will write soon - just been over the top busy!
Big warm Spring hugs my friend,
Suzy

Rhonda said...

I'm so glad I was sitting down, I almost fainted at your lace collection!! Those crocheted grape or balls are amazing.

Tina said...

That is awesomes finds Liz - everything is so beautiful. I love those little pieces stitched together.

Lynn Stevens said...

I'm drooling over your finds, especially those little pieced pieces. How delicate they are.

Vicki Boster said...

Oh that lace- I'm totally enthralled with it. Jealous- lusting- coveting-- all those sins!

Beautiful!!
Vicki