Sunday 7 July 2013

Our beautiful world week 2 and Sunday brocanting

The theme for the second week of photo sharing over at the Our Beautiful World blog is July. Oh goodness, July is so full of wonderful things, I could post  dozens and dozens of photos of what I think of when I think July. July in France is incredible sunrises, the most awesome sunsets, aperos with friends and neighbours which go on til late in the night, lazing about in hammocks, its the height of the brocante season, the vegetables in the garden are beginning to look soooo lush, the beautiful white charolais cows and their gorgeous little calves are everywhere munching away in such green fields, and then there are the crickets singing to you effortlessly and ceaselessly, all evening, all night it seems. I think the sounds of the crickets is what I associate most with July at the cottage, so here is a photo of one of the little blighters on our very old barn door -


Photo info -
Camera - Nikon D40, 55mm focal length
ISO 200
F/8
1/60th exposure

-----------------------------------------------

We went to an awesome brocante this morning in a largish town about 3/4 hour drive from us. Oh boy, I could have spent a fortune there, there were approx. 200 stalls and a lot of the dealers there had such gorgeous stuff! I only spent half a fortune though, lol, and managed to haggle for some beautiful new treasures for you! I'll be very busy photographing all those new delights over the next few days.

I was going to finish this post right here, but I couldn't resist running downstairs, grabbing a couple of things and taking photos of them straight away, just a little teaser, lol. I spent a BIG chunk of my half a fortune on a tatty old little suitcase full of delightful religious objects -






I usually end up buying a book or two. This one is just divine, with many an illustration just like these -



This little powder compact stole my heart, it is the sweetest little thing, 19th Century and real tortoiseshell -



A little bit of lace, nowhere near as much as I had hoped for -


And a gorgeous little ( I think ) hand coloured booklet about Versailles -



So many things to photograph! But this is enough for today, it is Sunday after all :-). I'll be back tomorrow with French Fleamarket Finds part trois.

Toodlepip xxx

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Hard to say what I like more - the cricket or the barn door! Beautiful picture!

Dorthe said...

Dear Liz, another gorgeous lot of beautiful pieces- I wonder if you are selling the book ??? also the buttons I asked about the other day,: the ones on paper are they for sale my dear ???
Your cricket is infact a beautiful creature... I know their singing from my many visits to Italy and France years ago!! just fantastic to listen to!!
Can`t wait to see the numero trois Fleamarket finds :-)
Hugs from Dorthe

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Wow, that cricket is one professional shot, with the camera details, oh wow, I think you are a professional!!!! Thanks for sharing your skill and show us the beauties through your lens, and next time, take me along when you go to flea market, I so want to be there!!!!! the illustration in the books you bought are my fav!!!! TFS!!!!

Shahrul Niza said...

Gorgeous steal!!. I LOVE seeing all the treasure you brought home :). You took amazing photos of them too. The little grasshopper is so cute, how close were you with it?.I remember, as a child, my brother and I would comb the field nearby our home for these insect!. It hurts when they kick, LOL. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Mom E. said...

Liz,
What a great shot of the grasshopper! You are having such fun with your camera!
I love your brocante items, as always. The religious objects always take my breath away and I am not even Catholic! I LOVE the bird, can't wait to see a complete picture of what it is sitting on! the statuettes are beautiful, and the carved pieces just fantastic. The laces and the compact are so wonderful as well...such a fun day for you!
Hearts,
Betsy

AppleApricot Wen said...

Oh my goodness, is that an original magazine with the ackermann (I think?) illustrations there??? LOVE them.
And sigh... you make me wanna live in France now too with your story about July, lol. Love your beautiful photos again.
Hugs, Wendy

Unknown said...

So love the cricket and your photograph spec, bravo!!! But I totaly want to be in France at the market with you I am dreaming of one of the Virgin Marys you got in your suitcase! Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Rhonda said...

You are a doll, thanks for the peak. I am sooooo interested in that suitcase filled with religious treasures. Ooh La La indeed!!! xo R

Ros Crawford said...

Oh your post sounds so idyllic ... I am transported to where you are (I wish) Love your photos ... beautiful photography ... Thanks so much for sharing with us at Our Beautiful World!