Wednesday 3 July 2013

A beautiful WHITE brocante find

Oh, how this find made my heart beat faster! I spied it from afar, made a bee line for it, and started oohing and aaahing and drooling. It was beautiful, it was in incredibly good condition, it was everything one could wish for in a.........

ANTIQUE FRENCH WEDDING CROWN !!!

I handled it ever so gently, carefully bending a few buds back into place, turning it slowly to view it from all sides, draping the attached veil over my hand and breathing in the scent of romance and days gone by. I couldn't believe my luck, finding these wedding crowns/tiaras is difficult at best, finding them in such good condition is almost impossible. The wax flowers and buds were still a beautiful creamy white with the subtlest sheen, the silver leaves still bright and shiny. It must have been kept in a box for many decades.

I suppose you would like to see photos now, wouldn't you? Lol. I had trouble taking pics, because I don't have a head here in France to photograph it on, couldn't really use my DH as a model, and certainly wasn't going to model it myself, lol, I am just a tad too old to be a blushing bride in white. So a copper canister had to stand in for the head :-) -









Isn't this just the most delightful piece of French finery? Of course my imagination kicked in straight away and I couldn't help but imagine the bride and groom, the guest, the wedding itself, the celebrations afterwards.......

I let you drool over this gorgeous thing for a little bit, while I try and get to grips with the French postal system, arrgghh. Printed out all the stuff I need, understand only about half of it, sitting here with DH and dictionary trying to work it all out, dang, why does it have to be so complicated, and why can't they simply issue a (free) Proof of Posting like the Post Office in the UK does? It doesn't exist here. Ah well, we shall have to visit La Poste again and try and get the lady behind the counter to explain the things I am not sure about. I would really love to start putting things in my Etsy shop and sending them from here, rather than waiting another couple of months until we go back to the UK and then send them from there. Humph.

In the meantime, I am linking this post to the wonderful Blissful Whites Wednesday linky party over at the TIMEWASHED blog. Do hop over there and check out all the beautiful whites.

Toodlepip xxx

15 comments:

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh My goodness Liz - How very lucky are you to find this French antique wedding crown and in mint condition too.
It truly is adorable! You'll be lucky to find another one like this again!!!
but then knowing your luck!!
Yes wouldn't you just love to know about the bride who wore this and all the history surrounding it.
Enjoy my dear friend!
Hope you are having some nice weather finally for your garden!
Sending more Summer love,
Suzy

Karen B. said...

Wow Liz,
you are so lucky to make this find! The crown is breath taking!
Many hugs
Karen B. ~ Todolwen

Doni said...

Oh Liz...I see now why I HAVE to make a trip myself to France. Oh what a lovely beautiful find! And the bride you know was a beauty. You did such a lovely job with the photos. Thank you so much for the extra effort to share such a pretty piece.
Blessings,
Doni

Rhonda said...

Well, I know what I will be dreaming about for the next month! Stunning crown, stunning! Good luck with the postal issues, Liz. It would be nice for you to be able to mail from your French home. xo Rhonda

Unknown said...

Ganz Zauberhaft,gefällt mir sehr.

LG Petra

Marrianna said...

Liz, you did a fantastic job photographing the crown. It was truly a "find" for you. Congratulations. I also looked at your recent post with your creations that are lovely. You always share such beautiful artwork. Thank you.

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Wow, Lizzie, What a find! It just waited for you to take it home. The condition is really amazing. I'm so happy for you that you got this wonderful piece. Enjoy!
xoxo,
Julia

Diana Taylor said...

Oh, isn't that exquisite - and in such good condition too - what a wonderful find. I love the way you've photographed it - the copper kettle is gorgeous too! Thanks so much for dropping by my blog, I hope you have a great week and sort out your postal difficulties.

Dorthe said...

Oh Liz, I`m so happy for you, that you found such a treasure, I know you told me how very difficult it is, and then such a very beautiful piece like this!!! You so deserves your gorgeous find, my dear friend.
Wishes for more lovely findings and for a happy weekend .
Sending warm hugs,
Dorthe-xx

Mom E. said...

It is gorgeous, Liz... Just beautiful.....
Thanks cor showing us all your wonderful treasures!!!!
Hearts,
Betsy

Mom E. said...

It is gorgeous, Liz... Just beautiful.....
Thanks cor showing us all your wonderful treasures!!!!
Hearts,
Betsy

Sophie said...

Mein Gott, wie traumhaft schön.
Eine Augenweide ist das.
Das hat sicher mal eine sehr glückliche Braut getragen, wer weiß, was daraus geworden ist... :-)
Ich habe meinen Schleier mit Krönchen immer noch in einer Schachtel aufbewahrt.
Davon kann ich mich nicht trennen :-)

Sophie xx

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

WOW thanks for these amazing photos, really beautiful!

Vicki Boster said...

Well it sure made MY heart skip a best-- it's maybe the most beautiful flea market find ever. Can you even imagine the story this beautiful little treasure might tell?? I can only imagine how you held your breath until you knew it was yours---
#totallyjealous

Love
Vicki

Heirloom treasures said...

Oh it is certainly lovely.I could do lots with that. Great find.