Monday 8 April 2019

ECO PRINTING ON PAPER

Ever since I received the most beautiful card from my amazingly talented Aussie friend Suzy, using her gorgeous eco dyeing/printing, I wanted to try it out myself. It has taken me a long time, but finally, I got my act together and wombled down the lane and picked some weeds and bits and pieces. Not much growing at the moment, lol.

The first batch I made was an experiment with all kinds of lane greenery, sandwiched between water colour paper and boiled in a pot with a couple of teabags and used coffee grounds thrown in :-). The results were very light and mellow yellow muddy brown, but did show a few prints -






I asked my DH to find me some rusty iron stuff in his workroom for the second batch. A bit of chain, nails, screws, all sorts of lovely rusty things went into the pot with this bunch of vegetation - 



The results were much more intense with better colours, lovely dark greys from the iron water I suppose and sharper outlines -


Hyacinth leaves and single flowers

Catkins from a tree in the lower field


tiny pink flowers and leaves from a shrub in the front garden, bit like a currant bush but without the fruit


Evergreen bush in the front garden, thick glossy leaves with tiny white flowers in the middle

I made a tag with one of the eco prints, to go on a birthday bouquet for a very dear friend and neighbour -

I didn't want to throw the iron water away, so I decided to pick a few more of those pink false currant bush things and a couple of other bits, and make a third batch. This batch turned out really rich and dark but more deep brown rather than the greys and charcoals from the first time I used the iron water. But that will have to wait until tomorrow. My doggies are giving me a hard time, lol. 

A bientot, toodlepip xxx




5 comments:

suziqu's thread works said...

WOW Liz thanks for sharing all of these images of your results from the first to the last! They are fabulous - all of them and you will use them all I am sure even if some just appear as background papers.
Love those catkins and how you showed the plant next to the results on paper.
Just fabulous for the first experiments and yes I just continue to experiment. That's what it's all about!
Now you are hooked!!! Fantastic!
Much love,
Suzy

Alexandra said...

Ups dein Blog lebt ja wieder :D Super Liz

Dorthe said...

Oh my goodness Liz, so many gorgeous results - I love them.
Do you roll the bundles together and then tie them with string or laces - or are they tied lying flat, in the bowl.
I tried this some years ago, but did not get such beautiful results like you have here, don`t know what I did wrong , but I will love to try again , and your samples, surely makes me think seriously in doing it .
Dear friend, have a wonderful weekend- Big hugs from me- love, Dorthe

Roosterhead Designs said...

Fabulous Liz!!! I'm always amazed at the colors and shapes (imprints) we can get with just some simple natural things! TFS~ <3 karen o

Roosterhead Designs said...

Liz I forgot to mention that awesome tag you created with your eco-dyed papers; SO cool! It's beautiful Liz!!