Sunday 27 July 2014

Coup de Coeur

If you saw yesterday's post about my brocante finds, you'll remember that I mentioned a big folder. And that it was an absolute must-have even though it cost a fortune, lol. And I did promise to show you today what it was that got me so excited.

Well, I won't tease you any longer. What I found stashed away in a number of smaller folders were...............

THE most wonderful fashion magazines from the 1870s and 1880s!!!

They are so rare, so very hard to find. Very occasionally you come across one or two at a dealer's stall, so you can imagine how delighted I was to find a whole bunch of them. The stall was manned by an elderly couple, and we got chatting and they told me that his grandmother had been a dress designer and had collected all these publications. I wish I had had more time to talk with them and find out what else they had stashed away, but it was such a very busy brocante, I couldn't keep them away from other customers for too long.

I took a few photographs for you, of course -














I also got these almost pristine 1870s embroidery and dress patterns, on the most delicate lilac coloured tissue paper -



I suppose I should list at least some of them in my Etsy shop, but oh, that will be hard, they are all so very beautiful.

Wishing all a very happy Sunday, and a great new week. Toodlepip xxx

11 comments:

Rhonda said...

Those are gorgeous and those headers are so detailed and beautiful. I would even buy just a scan of the headers!!! Be still my heart!!

Elizabethd said...

What an incredible find. I couldn't bear to part with them!

Elizabethd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow, now that's what I call a find!!! Beautiful!!

Marrianna said...

I'm so glad you returned to post the photos of the magazines. Yes, I read yesterday's post and loved all your treasures. This is a delightful find and a treasure to keep, or put in your popular Etsy shop. Good shopping!!!

Blessings, Marrianna

Createology said...

Now I see why you saved this folder for its own post. Wow! What a find and to know the backstory is an extra bonus. You are the very best brocante treasure shopper! Creative Bliss...

morkaren said...

Skønt indkøb, så dejlige ting falder man ikke over hverdag. knus morkaren.

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Hi Liz,
What a surprise to see you visiting my blog, you made my day.
I always read your blog but I don't comment much anymore because I'm lazy!
Anyway, I love your fabulous fashion magazine pages...what a great find!
I'd love to go shopping in your part of the world. You find the best stuff!

hugs
Sissie

Gaby Bee said...

What a gorgeous bundle of magazines you found! Fantastic! You hit the jackpot!

Unknown said...

So fantastic, great find!!
Michele

Betsy said...

Such fun you will have! I can see paper dolls dressed on tags!!! I found a photocopy i have had for years of a similar magazine, but I only have a few pages,
Oh, I think I showed them to you!
I have had a busy busy summer, I am getting organized! It is such a nice feeling! and I can find things now!
hugs,
Betsy