Friday 17 December 2010

Pin cushion

It is quite ridiculous really that I don't use a pin cushion. I sew, by hand and machine. I end up with needles all over the table, or held between my teeth, pinned to my tshirt or trousers. I have a couple of gorgeous old vintage pin cushions which I look at and fondle occasionally, lol, but I don't use them. So yesterday I decided enough is enough, I can't cope with all those needles haphazardly spread about the place. And I made a little pin cushion, yay.

A little while ago, I saw this post on Barb's blog Treasures from the Heart. I really loved the idea of using a candlestick for the base of the pin cushion. That way, you can't really lose it, lol, and it can't get buried under fabric. So very sensible, and hers looked so attractive as well. Ever since then, I have been trying to find a hollow glass candlestick. Could I find one? Nope. Could I find ANY sort of glass candlestick? Nope. Until yesterday, when I finally found a pair of (solid) glass candlesticks in a charity shop. I quite liked the shape and height of them, so I set about transforming one into a pin cushion a la Barb -


I thought it could do with a couple more embellishments, so I added a couple of lace flowers -


and a lovely crystal glass drop -



I love those tiny little cotton reels.

It is such fun using it, why oh why didn't I do this a long time ago? Errrm, because Barb hadn't inspired me then, lol. What would we do without our blogger friends?

Thats it for now, got Christmas pressies to wrap. Toodlepip xxx

17 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

What a good idea having a tall pin cushion so it doesn't get lost under all the fabric and other stuff on the work table. Must make one myself. Yours is so pretty - love it.

Jane

A garden just outside Venice said...

Sorry Liz, but the word "pincushin" it's too much humble for that little piece of art!
Have a good weekend xxx

Salma said...

das sieht sooo toll aus! :) ich hab mir vor einiger zeit mal ein nadelkissenglas gemacht, das ist auch total praktisch - das nadelkissen auf dem deckel oben drauf und unten ins glas kann man jede menge anderes zeugs reintun :)

ich könnte NIE ohne nadelkissen sein, das war eins der ersten dinge, die ich mir zugelegt hab, als ich angefangen hab zu nähen ;)

ganz liebe grüße
salma

Serenata said...

Very pretty pincushion and a lovely inspiring idea.

Have a fabulous weekend.

Sea Gypsy said...

That is a great idea and yours turned out fantastic! You are right about so much inspiration in blogland. Your christmas decorations are just beautiful!

Sonya Badgley said...

Hi Liz,
Beautiful pin cushion! I need to make one too. I'm tired of trying to find mine under all my fabric and whatever else is scattered all over my table!:)
Have a good weekend,
Sonya

TAPESTRIESOFNATURE said...

HELLO, LIZ, I MUST SAY YOU DID A GREAT JOB ON YOUR PIN CUSHION! HOW HANDY IS THAT? I'M JUST LIKE YOU WITH THE PINS ALL OVER THE PLACE! I THINK I TOO MUST MAKE ONE FOR MYSELF. TAHNKS FOR SHARING.

AND YOUR HOUSE LOOKS WONDERFUL ALL DECKED OUT FOR CHRISTMAS. HOPE YOUR LAMENTA COMES IN TIME.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, BLOGGER FRIEND, JUDY

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

superbe !
passe d'excellentes fêtes de fin d'année !!
grobizoutes

Andi's English Attic said...

Beautiful. It's possible that together, you and I may have started a run on charity shop candlesticks!
btw - Where did you get the darling little cotton reels? xx

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Now that is one classy pin cushion!! I love it! It looks quite simple to make too which is always a bonus. The little flowers really make it special. Everything needs a little glam.

Dorthe said...

Dear Liz,--
how sweet is that, and a wonderfull idea--as you say--one can`t loose a pincussion like that one.
Love the glass candle stick-and how you beautifully "dressed" it, sweetie.
`Hugs, Dorthe

Croap Queen said...

A very posh (and pretty) pincushion madam. Not quite what I pictured when you said you were making a pincushion the other day though :-)
JJ xx

Tina said...

Your pincushion is so pretty Liz. What a great idea.
Have a wonderful weekend.
xo Tina

GerryART said...

Your creation is gorgeous !
And, yes, we're all bundling up and running to the closest thrift shop looking for such a find as yours.

Happy Holiday Hugs
Gerry

Debra said...

Great idea for a pincushion, and so pretty! You know I love pincushions! By the way, is lametta what we call tinsel here in the US?

Linens Lace and Lattes said...

What a great idea. Lovely!
deb
linens lace and lattes

Anonymous said...

These are scrumptious, Liz!
Hugs, Diane