Tuesday 29 June 2010

A BIG thank you and a few boot fair finds

You know from the previous post that I joined the brilliant Bloggerette Sorority a little while ago, and, along with every other sister, made a little project with the image we were provided with. The big reveal was last Friday and, boy, did I have a fabulous weekend! I visited around 150 blogs of our new sorority sisters and was absolutely gobsmacked by the wonderful and highly imaginative creations they came up with. What really bowled me over was the fabulous response I had. So many lovely sorority sisters visited me, left wonderful comments, wrote such lovely emails. I was a real pleasure seeing some of them as new followers as well. BUT, with all the visiting I did, I haven't had much time to respond to their emails or to welcome the new followers personally, so please let me say a HUGE THANK YOU to all of you. You put the biggest smile on my face.


Before I get totally soppy ( not a pretty sight ) I'd better get on to the weekend boot fairs.
The weather was brilliant, and it was lovely just wombling about and checking out the stalls. No rushing around, just gentle milling about as it was quite hot, even so early in the day.

Ok, so I may have to put an extension on the house soon, or start listing in Vintageland rather more seriously, sigh, because I came home with, errmm, well, too many goodies again. But honestly, when you see something you really like, you can't just leave it behind, can you? You'd be kicking yourself forever.

Lets start with glass treasures then. This Art Deco vase is the most beautiful blue. I have a very similar already in the cottage's blue bedroom, so this one will go very nicely with it -


A whole bunch of small vintage glass bottles, some of them in the most delicious aqua colour, some in clear glass

This one is very very special indeed though, don't you think? -


EIFFEL TOWER lemonade!!! I researched it a little, and going by the neck shape and the text front and back I believe it to be from around 1910. For anybody who loves Paris and the Eiffel Tower, thats just such a sweet find. Funny though that it was actually made in Maidstone, England, now why would they call the stuff Eiffel Tower lemonade??

Another beautiful deeply coloured carnival glass bowl, so pretty -

and a set of three glass jars for trying my hand at altering them -

I do love my collection of Victorian moulds and I am always thrilled when I find one at a boot fair -

When we have very informal outdoor dinners with friends in France, I love to use bowls with different patterns. This sweet anemone bowl will fit in nicely with the my other flowery bowls -

Oh, and talking of bowls, I just had to get this gorgeous bowl for the cottage in France, it has the most beautiful rose decoration and a silver plated rim. Will I fill it with lace, or rose petals, or beautiful pearls perhaps? We'll see.

It is almost unknown for me to buy a teacup which doesn't have roses or other pink flowers on it, but this beautiful trio in BLUE was just way too pretty to ignore. I adore it -

Sometimes one just has to give in and buy a little bit of kitsch, when it is so prettily shaped and so shimmery and shiny. I fell for this little lustreware dish, the swans are so charming and the lustre is so delicate and pretty -

A little bit of bling and the cutest little silver plated dish ( with not much silver left, lol )


a little bit of fabric, smothered in the prettiest roses -

and lots and lots of gorgeous vintage linens -

a few old photographs -

and a brilliant set of very vintage Happy Families cards -

And of course there were books, I can't imagine going to a boot fair and coming home without a book or two -

This Paris guide is from 1922 and is full of fold out maps -

This is even better than the normal ledger, so much rarer, a bread delivery record book! -

This book, Epics and Romances of the Middle Ages, has the most fabulous illustrations, I especially love all the tiny little scrolls and thingies -

Last but not least is this sweet little rose garland, quite delicate and pastel-ly, perfect for the cottage -

There is one other thing which I found on Sunday, and I have to say it is my favourite out of all the weekend finds. It is so pretty, it deserves its own post. I'll show you all tomorrow! Until then,

toodlepip xx


19 comments:

Debby said...

I love how you call them boot fairs. You have some great finds.

Home and Heart said...

WOWZA!!! What a beautiful set of finds! *sigh*

LiLi M. said...

Ah I love these finds, all of them! I never heard of family cards nor of Eiffel tower lemonade. But though I do think it's very special it's English of course, otherwise it would be 'Limonade de la tour Eiffel' or something like that. I'm just using my imagination, but I think calling this lemonade Eiffel tower lemonade was a powerful tool 'au fin du siècle'. I think it might well be older then 1910, as the Eiffel tower was built in 1887 or 'environs'. It's like calling a soda something like London tonic (we actually had this drink over here since the 60ties, I'm not sure whether it still exists) so that drinking that soda made a connection between you and those hippies in Carnaby street. I just love it when a find tickles the imagination! Ah you did so well!!!!

LiLi M. said...

I forgot the word marketing in:
I think calling this lemonade Eiffel Tower lemonade was a powerful MARKETING tool...

btw I always think it's hard to write such a comment; you don't know me and you cannot hear me. I don't want to 'teach', but I just want to try answer your question. Hope you're not offended.

Rebecca said...

Beautiful beautiful finds!

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

How many granny trollies did it take to cart all that home??? You really must have a problem fitting it all in your houses. I do however love the happy families cards and the rose garland - very pretty. HF was my favourite card game when I was little and now our girls enjoy it.

Your new linens sure look lovely and nicely stitched. Very beautiful indeed.

Cindy said...

Bee-u-tee-ful nicies that you got at your boot fair.

Hugs XX
Barbara
Mooe

Anne Lorys said...

You always come back with the BEST stuff from these boot fairs! LOVE the glass bottles. :-)

Rebecca Nelson said...

I'll take all your sweet finds, please. Need my address, SEEZSTA?

xo:)

Rebecca

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

You scored big time again, girl! I have to think about moving to England to also find some amazing treasures, lol. I love the sweet little bottles and the Eiffel tower bottle is of course my favorite. This is so cool! I have a thing for those ceremic molds. They are so pretty. Vintage photos, linen and laces are always yummy. Imagine how expensive such a house extension is! Maybe you just give away your excessive flea market finds to your blogging friends, ha, ha, ha.
Have a lovely day, Liz!
Hugs,
Julia

Karen said...

OH! MY! GOODNESS!
GASP!
I am soooo coming to your house so you can take me with you next time! Just the linens! OMG! Fabulous!
Love the glass bottles, love the tri-teacup set, love it all!
Yeah, lately, we are all talking about needing bigger homes! :)
LOVE THIS!
have a great week!
karen ~ Some days are diamonds

Serenata said...

I'm stunned as ever with all your goodies you managed to get over the weekend. Did you have a Lorry/Truck?

I think I have some fabric the same as the lighter roses.

Well of course my favourite would have to be the pretty blue tea cup set and the blue vase - so pretty.

Liz's Knitting said...

Definately another successful boot fair!!

I love the blue glass bowl and the bottles...I can picture them in my blue and white bathroom!

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

Well it's lucky we don't visit the same boot sales as I'd be fighting you for most of those goodies!

Victoria xx

Tina said...

oh- what great finds liz. I love those small bottles and all the linen too ofcourse.
xo Tina

sharie said...

Now thats what I call a very nice haul! Jealousy is setting in !

Love each and every one of your finds. Off to read the rest of your blog as your my kind of thrifter!

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Liz,
omg - look at all those wonderful finds.Thanks for sharing.
Have a great day.
Hugs,
Marie

Dorthe said...

Oh Liz, you did it again,dear-
my! it is gorgeus all,-the pressed glass,the rose bowl, the so sweet blue cup set, the fabric,and laces,and THE BOOKS,-you alwayes find the most fantastic books.
****
My husbond and Gustav -10-
are taking a tour on the Baltic Sea,trying to catch a fish---and Mathilde is on the TV,for half an houer, so I could visit some of my friends,-before "we "go to sleep.
Liz ,you are the greatest finder,and collector, so beautifull all.
Hugs and lovely evening, dear.
Dorthe

Andi's English Attic said...

Wasn't the sorority fun? I visited each blog on the list too. Wanted to say hello at least once.
The blue vase is VERY pretty. Gorgeous blue.
The rose fabric - it looks very much like the fabric my parents used to have covering their sofa. Is it by any chance Sandersons?