Tuesday 1 June 2010

Bank Holiday Weekend part 2

As I mentioned yesterday, I found some lovely old books at the boot fair and also some rather nice linen bits and pieces. I photographed some of the linen bits as they came out of my super duper trolley, so they are crumpled and not exactly looking their best, but if I don't photograph stuff straight away, I tend to forget about it.


Ok, I am starting with the books. I love books with very smooth edges, beautifully gilded or even marbled, but I also adore books where the pages seem to have been cut by hand, are all rough and higgledypiggledy, and the paper is thick and tactile.



Some of the books I found on the weekend definitely fit into the latter category, and they are quite wonderful. I looked up the author of two of them, and found that he was a very prolific writer. I sure love the two books of his which I now own -

Don't you just love the titles of these books? " Lives of the Hunted" and "Wild Animals I have Known". Fabulous. The illustrations are lovely. Nearly every pages has little drawings on it -


Then there is the beautifully decorated book of Lyrics from Elizabethan Song Books -

Aaah, those lyrics. I think they need to be read by candle light, with the right sort of music playing softly in the background.

The next book is quite something as well, Thais, by nobel prize winner Anatole France-

Inside the book I found this beautifully written card -

and on the inside of the front cover was this very touching inscription -
Isn't that just the sweetest and most romantic thing?

The last book is just pure fun for me, Sixty Old Time Variety Songs -


Isn't this just the cutest song? -

And finally, a few of the fabricy things I bought. This is such a darling little dress with the finest whitework embroidery, shame I didn't launder it first, eh ;-) -


This very finely striped little jacket came from the same stall holder -

as did this soft little cotton night gown, beautifully embroidered and trimmed with the most delicate handmade lace -

I have washed the other things, but not ironed them yet, so they will have to wait for another post. Do remind me though, lol, as I said before, I have a tendency to forget.

I was going to post some pics of some more tags I made last week, but this post is quite long enough, I'll post them tomorrow instead ;-)

Toodlepip xxx

17 comments:

Dorthe said...

Liz my dear,
how do you do it, how do you find all those beautifull things????????

I`m so in love with the books, shown, they are wonderfull, and the emages fantastic, you did very beautifull finds.
The children`s clothing are so lovely, with embroidery, and lace,and the fabric itself looks soft and fragile, --little art-pieces.

Such treasures all, dear Liz, such keepers, how strange that some people,wants to sell all that beauty- well lucky are we,when finding them, but all the same, strange!!

Hugs, and love,and sleep well.
Dorthe

LiLi M. said...

Ahhh I'm drooling over my desk! I love antique books, I always buy them to craft, but in the end I don't, because I think it's a pity to destroy such a fine book! The antique linens are stunning too! Looking forward to part 3!

Me and Ma said...

Liz, the dresses and nightgown are so beautiful :)

Anonymous said...

You obviously have a far better class of boot sales in your part of the world!xx

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

My mum has decided she needs a pile of old books by the fireplace and brought a lovely old one at the weekend,

Victoria x

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Your fabulous old books and dreamy cottons make the perfect pair!

Anonymous said...

WOW! LOVE, love, love, those books! What marvelous finds! And the treasured note tucked inside ... breathless! :)))

Anneke said...

you have found very beautiful books and things.
love to see it

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Go Fred!! He must have been quite a man. Shame men don't seem to write such things these days. Well mine sure doesn't! Am I missing out perhaps?

I am completely in love with those baby clothes. I've always loved old nighties like these. The detail is just amazing and so beautifully stitched. Lovely pieces to own for sure.

Tina said...

those are fabulous finds Liz. I love those old books. the covers are really pretty - very hard to find over here. The childrens clothes are so pretty too.
xo Tina

inge said...

like your finds...it's wonderful to think how the lifes from those people give us now pleasure ...

Tina said...

Hi Liz,
The books are amazing and that sweet note is just the most romantic thing ever!
xxx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful finds, Liz!!!!
Diane

Lynn Stevens said...

oh my gosh what great finds!

Debby said...

I love, love all of your books and the little dress and other goodies are just fabulous. Thanks fo sharing.
debby

Rustique Gal said...

Liz, I just love the illustrations and fonts in those old books. The stylized drawings on the covers are so sweet. Lovely lacy sewn dresses too. Good finds!
Sherry

Andi's English Attic said...

There is nothing like this at boot fairs or flea markets around here. I'm envious of your finds. xx