Friday 12 June 2009

By special request

I am doing a bit of a fabric swap with Sarah, Red Gingham, at the moment. I really needed a bit of a clue as to what sort of fabrics she wanted, so I emailed her pics of some of my fabrics to narrow it down. She thought it might be fun to post the pics on the blog as well. Actually, it was more of an order, her very words were " you have to show those photos on your blog ". So here they are, by special request from Sarah in New Zealand -


Those are the fabrics which are suitable for normal quilting. I may have another pile or two of more heavyweight fabrics, like curtain fabrics, and special fabrics, like velvets, silks, all sorts really. You never know when they might come in handy. I used to do a lot of patchwork and quilting, hence the fabric stash, but haven't had much time for that recently. Ah well, there is always next year, lol.

I have a bit of problem as well, perhaps you can help. You see, I found this big carrier bag full of finished knitted squares in delicious colours in a local charity shop a while back. At £2.50 it was too good a bargain to not take it home. So take it home I did. And its been sitting on one shelf or another, or in one corner or another, ever since. Yes, I know, I can sew them all together and make a knitted patchwork blanket with them, but just that would be pretty boring. Got any fancy ideas as to how I could embellish this? Maybe crochet them all together, and make matching crochet flowers to put into the squares? IF I can get matching coloured yarns somewhere. Embroider some squares with pretty embroidery silks? Do some ribbon embroidery on selected squares? Arrgghh. Here, take a look, what would you do with them?


Not easy, is it?

Thats it for now. I am going to wrap up Sarah's fabrics, have a cup of tea, and then get on with a hundred and one things I have to do before husband and youngest son go off to France again tonight. Lucky soandsos.
xx

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, your fabrics look so neat and organised.

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I think the most fabulous thing here, is that they are in colour order!! Now don't you dare tell me that you aren't an organised woman! I just won't believe it. I see what you mean about those knitted squares. Too good to pass up, but what to do with them? Perhaps join them in a different colour wool to make a border around each one. Sort of frame them. Maybe you could embroider with wool, something pretty, on some of them too. Off to buy that fabric today!

Lululiz said...

Sarah, I am organised with important things, like fabrics, and lace, and embroidery threads, and needlepoint wools and crafty stuff in general. I am sooooooooo not organised though when it comes to all the mundane things, like kitchen cupboards, wardrobes, rooms in general, lolol.