Thursday 23 October 2014

A bit of a mixed bag

The first part of this post really is about a mixed bag - a mixed bag of gorgeous craft supplies which arrived at our home in England just before we left for France. The oh so talented Sandy from Quill Cottage had a little competition a while ago to find a new tag line for her blog, and because she just couldn't make up her mind, she decided to give everybody who entered a gift - a little bag of craft goodies!  It was such a lovely treat to receive it.





Beautifully coordinated little treasures, ready to inspire and to be made into some lovely little projects. And all in the colour palette I so adore. Once again, Sandy, thank you so very much for this really beautiful surprise.

I didn't take any craft supplies with me, as were only coming to the cottage for two weeks, so the only thing I have done was fixing our boys' cuddle quilt. I had made the quilt at least 25 years ago, for the kids to snuggle under when they were ill, and middle son took it with him when he moved into his own home with his family. Bless him, he loves the quilt and it is used every day, so it frequently needs repairs to the seams. I spent a few hours yesterday stitching it all up yet again. 

I did make a tag before we went to France though, which I haven't shown you yet, so here it is -





Mother Nature is amazing. Last year, my wonderful friend Christine gave me 5 or six little sticks from her fig tree. Just twigs from when she trimmed it down for the winter. She told me to just stick them in the ground and they would root. Yeah right, lol. Twigs, hmmm. But......... she was absolutely right and two of the sticks started sprouting little leaves in the Spring and grew a little. And grew some more. I was delighted, fresh figs are so delicious, and I was hoping that following year we might get a fig or two. 
When we arrived back this time, I couldn't believe how much the little cuttings had grown in the few weeks after the summer when we were in England, and I was gobsmacked to see loads of figs growing on them! Too late in the year really, but goodness me, can you believe it, all that from little bare sticks in one year! -



Also growing this time of year are fungi. Masses of different fungi all over the place. This morning on my walk with the dogs, I found some which we were pretty sure were edible field mushrooms, but my son won't let me eat them, lol, doesn't want me to keel over and die yet, bless him. The variety of fungi growing all around us is astonishing, I only took a pic of one lot in the garden, because it was such a nice dewy, sunlit cluster -


Our Poppy girl likes her creature comforts ( and the tv ), but she gets herself into the most ridiculous positions sometimes. Just look at this -


A lady she ain't, lol.

Thank you so much to all of you who commented on the kitties in the last post. The weather turned really cold a couple of days ago, and I think they have now all moved on to a new home, hopefully in a warm barn. 

We are going back to our home in the UK in a couple of days. I know I will miss the peace and quiet of this place the minute we set foot on English soil, lol. I find it difficult to cope with all the traffic and the masses of people. But at least I will be back in my craft room, yay!

My Chrome issues still persist, I don't know whether any of you have the same problem. I know I am not the only one, as there are threads on the Google forums about it. Whenever I need to open a new page, for example to comment on a blog or to print something, I just get a blank page. Very frustrating because then I have to use Firefox, which keeps ' not responding ', arrgghh, and I can't stand IE, never touch it any longer. So I haven't spent much time on the computer and haven't read or commented on many blogs. There should be an update to Chrome in a week or so, which will fix the problem. 

Oooooh, UPDATE! Just as I was finishing writing the above, Nick came in to tell me that the kitties are in the garden behind the house, under the little ( hole in the wall ) window to the barn! He saw two of them. I'll put a box with a blanket in the barn in case they have adopted it as their new home for now, lol. Hopefully when we get back they will be old enough and wise enough to stay away from our place when the doggies are here.

Gotta go and check on them now! Toodlepip xxx

10 comments:

lynn cockrell said...

That tag is really pretty! I learned something new here today because I did not realize you root a fig tree from a cutting! I am going to get one from my friend whose fig trees always seem to do well. I have one that has struggled for years, only to produce one or two figs a year. I think we all have an issue or two with Chrome and I have had that same blank page thing. Sometimes, I close out the page and try again and it works on the second try. Technology can be wonderful when it works, which is not always the case!

Dorthe said...

What a long and wonderful post, my dear Liz, beautiful from start to end.... Sandy ,did send you all some wonderful treaSURES to create with, and your own tag, is stunningly beautiful!!
We have a big fig tree here in our garden, which also gives tons of figs,.. you will be blessed with a wonderful amount of them next year, dear friend.
About Crome, I have not had any problems ,like the ones you share here!! I hope your update will fix it all!!
And yes, sweet animals are not very often ladylike , lol- lets hope the kitties will find somewhere else to live, even you makes their life sweeter with blanket and box , hihi !!

Have a wonderful evening dear Liz.
Hugs from Dorthe and much love !!

Rhonda said...

That bag of goodies is so beautiful. All the rich colors and textures. Cannot wait to see what you make with it all.

Adore this post and your Poppy is so funny.

Sophie said...

So schöne Geschenke, eine herrliche Überraschung.
Ich habe auch einen Feigenbaum im Garten.
Er ist schon recht groß, geht über die Dachrinne hinaus. Und er trägt auch diese kleinen Feigen.
Aber größer werden sie leider nicht.
Ich schätze mal, dass du mehr Glück damit hast, denn hier ist nicht das Klima von Südfrankreich, leider :-)
Und obwohl dieser Sommer sehr lang und warm war, wurden die Feigen nicht größer. Schade.
Danke für die vielen, immer ganz lieben Kommentare.
Sei umarmt von Sophie

JoAnne said...

Love your tag Liz!

Lynn Stevens said...

Lovely tag Liz and such a sweet gift from your blog friend.
Your dog picture cracked me up! LOL

Enjoy creating back in your studio.
Hugs Lynn

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Hi Liz! Thank you for your nice comment on my blog. That tag is gorgeous and your Poppy is a cutie!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Liz! I do so enjoy your posts! Your tag is simply gorgeous! Lucky you with your little goody bag too! The figs should be really good next year!! Chris

AppleApricot Wen said...

I think you have new friends there Liz, lol. Let's hope the kittens will be wise enough to avoid the dogs yes. Priceless photo of your Poppy!
What a beautiful blogpost this is, with your gorgeous tag! And the delightful gifts of Sandy, so well combined. Wishing you a happy day and sending you hugs

suziqu's thread works said...

Sandy's bag of ephemera is just gorgeous. What fun you will have creating with this!
Oh and you know how much I love your beautiful stone angel tag in beautiful hues of blues and greys -
thank you so much dear friend!
And Poppy just know how to live it up on the couch - give her a hug from me.
Poppy love,
Suzy